Saturday, April 13, 2013

Where's the Beef?

Hero worship in its unkindest form!

On Betelgeuse they worship me
as savior of their race.
The Puppeteer cheer loud hurrahs
where'er I show my face.
I cannot count the times I signed
a Kzinti's Book of Dawn.
But my butt is just a Big Mac
on the planet Alderaan.

My fame has stood the test of time
in our history books.
The statues of my frame adorn
a million honored nooks.
Aristocrats of every stripe
come up to primp and fawn.
But my butt is just a Big Mac
on the planet Alderaan.

On Alderaan they say that once
I visited their world.
I wowed them and I dazzled
every boy and little girl.
I left a bit of DNA
to clone me when I'm gone.
Now my butt is just a Big Mac
on the planet Alderaan.

I'm going back to Alderaan
to tell them that I mind.
You don't have to be a Vegan
to respect the human kind.
I know the trick: I'll show them what
I use to sit upon.
Then my butt won't be a Big Mac
on the planet Alderaan!

Filking is an artform peculiar to the science fiction fan community. Years ago, when I read Larry Niven's short story Assimilating our Culture, That's what they're doing, I was moved to write my first filksong.

And, sure, I know that Betelgeuse is a red giant star that's unlikely to have a worshipful civilization living on it, and I just made up the Kzinti Book of Dawn, because I couldn't think of a better rhyme. Maybe Larry Niven will write a story to explain what that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment